One of the oldest communities in Miami, Coconut Grove suddenly has many new projects sprouting up near its historic buildings and lush tree canopies.
Located along Biscayne Bay, Coconut Grove is known for its strong private schools, its parks, and the boats along its bayfront. For decades, its signature commercial center has been Cocowalk, but that complex struggled coming out of the recession. Now developers are breathing new life into Cocowalk, and starting many other projects in the neighborhood.
See the gallery for a look at some new and pending construction projects in Coconut Grove, plus some of the features that make the neighborhood a relaxing place to be.
The new projects featured include:
- Park Grove, three condo towers by the Related Group and Terra. Two towers have been finished and the third tower, One Park Grove, is expected to be completed in late 2019.
- The redevelopment of Cocowalk, which will have a 85,000-square-foot office building with 20,000 square feet of ground-floor retail. It's slated for completion in the fourth quarter of 2019.
- The 100-room Mr. C Hotel, the first of its brand in Florida, is expected to open in winter 2019.
- Regatta Harbour will feature over 100,000 square feet of retail and restaurants, including a food hall and specialty market, on city-leased land at Dinner Key. The retail portion could open in summer 2019 and the restaurants would be ready in 2020.
- Metronomic Place recently broke ground with plans for 44 all-suite hotel rooms, 3,200 square feet of retail, and 5,000 square feet of offices. It's slated for completion in winter 2019.
- Terra and Mayfair Real Estate Advisors are building the 75,000-square-foot Mary Street office building, which already has a major tenant slated to move in during 2020.
- The Optimum office building will have 44,000 square feet of office space and 6,500 square feet for restaurants when its construction is completed.
- The 52-unit Arbor condo/townhome project is under construction.
- The 26-unit Fairchild Coconut Grove condo is scheduled to finish construction in fall 2019.
- Terra has filed plans to demolish the Summerhill Apartments and construct a 20-story residential and office building.
- Metronomic plans to build Commodore Place, with hotel rooms and retail, along Commodore Plaza.
- The city is still working on plans to revamp the historic Coconut Grove Playhouse with more office and retail space.
By: Brian Bandell, South Florida Business Journal